The Sylvia G. Thompson Residence Center is the lasting legacy of Sylvia Green Thompson. She and her husband, E.W. Thompson, operated a number of successful business enterprises in Sedalia, including E. W. Thompson Inc. and Thompson Hills Investment Corp. Mrs. Thompson was active in a variety of civic organizations throughout her life, but made her most lasting contribution to the Sedalia community after her death in 1984.
Establishing a home for the aged of Pettis County who could not otherwise afford long term care was a goal of the Thompson family. In her last will and testament, Mrs. Thompson directed that the bulk of her estate be used to establish the Sylvia G. Thompson Charitable Trust, which ultimately made that goal a reality. The original 18,430 square foot Sylvia G. Thompson Residence Center was opened in 1992, and has since more than quadrupled in size. When the latest addition is complete, the facility will encompass more than 80,000 square feet. The original construction and all subsequent additions have been completely financed by the Charitable Trust, which also underwrites the operation of the facility. The Trust has also contributed funds to the State Fair Community College Nursing Program to further the stated goal of providing comprehensive long-term care to the elderly of Pettis County.
The involvement of the Thompson family did not stop with the establishment of the Sylvia G. Thompson Charitable Trust. The Thompson’s only daughter, Sylvia L. Thompson, was a consultant on the original construction and remains closely associated with the facility that bears her mother’s name.
There are numerous Thompson family photos and other memorabilia decorating the home, including a 1936 grandfather clock that stood in the Thompson home for many years. These items are just a part of the legacy of Sylvia G. Thompson, who gave of herself to help others during her lifetime and continues to do so long after her death.